Wednesday, December 29, 2010

After Christmas musings

Hello and welcome to my blog.  This is my first post and I hope that there will be many more.  I am looking forward to getting to know each and everyone of you.

I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue.  I was first diagnosed in 1994 and have had many ups and downs since then.  I am learning (still) to pace myself and to prioritize what I want to do and when.  There are those times when I can't choose however, and the fatigue and pain overwhelm me,  and I just have to rest.

I am still in the process of learning to accept those times that I have to spend "down".  I've had a lot of time to practice.  I do enjoy watching the birds and spending time with family and our dogs. They are great company for me when I'm resting.  I enjoy my computer too and spend a lot of time on it.

Once in a while I have times of almost "normal" feelings and I can drive and shop and clean.  Those have been fleeting this year however and I've found peace and joy in the things that are really important... God, family, nature, and peace.

These days after Christmas are full.  We still have family visiting and the youngest grandson is here.  He is so fun and I've found that laughter is indeed good medicine.  We had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying each day to the fullest.  The pain and fatigue are catching up with me though, and I'm more tired each day.  I spend much of the day sitting and watching and tucking away memories to hold in my heart when I'm unable to "do" anything but rest.  I'm not expected to wait on anyone so that allows me the energy to just enjoy!

I love it when the grand kids are home from school.  They are all getting so big and have so many interests of their own now. They range in age from 1 to 12. 

I feel I am very blessed.  I have a husband who loves me, a family who loves me, a God who loves me, and a warm and dry home to live in.  I have what I need and much more. 

My body however, is another story.  It has, in many ways, betrayed me.  It won't allow me to do the things I used to do or enjoy things I used to.  But in the midst, I am learning to enjoy new things and to take each day as it comes.  Circumstances change and life throws hard things at us all.  It is indeed what we do with them that counts.  I choose to trust God, do what I can, and let the rest go.

I hope and pray you had a wonderful time wherever you might have been for Christmas and that your journey with illness or hard circumstances will become one of peace and that you will find hope in the midst.

Blessings,
Elaine

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine
    I am so happy to see you are blogging...I enjoy your comments on my blog so much and know that others will enjoy getting to know you here. May God bless your words and you in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee,
    Thank you so much! I am excited and a bit aprehensive at the same time. I am so encouraged by your blog and am learning so much from you!

    God Bless You Both in this New Year!!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete